Hey, I'm Bryan 👋🏻, here's a bit about me.
I'm married to an amazing women 🙋♀️. We met in our first college math class, talk about lucky. Together we have two daughters 👨👩👧👧, they're pretty cool. We have a dog named Pond 🐶 (as in "Come along Pond") which is half St. Bernard and half Standard Poodle, it's known as a St. Berdoodle. We also have a cat named Meesh 🐱, she's old and opinionated.
I've got a few hobbies:
- ☕ I ❤️ coffee. My favorite way to make it is with my beloved AeroPress.
- 🛠️ I'm really into woodworking, building furniture, etc. Which is great because...
- 🔨 My wife and I bought our dream property on a lake 🌅 ... which happened to have a house 🏚 on it. We're now remodeling the entire thing ourselves.
- 🐔 On a lark in 2020 I got chickens 🥚🐣🐥🐓🥚. They're awesome. We named them Kung Pao, KFC, Orange, and Ginger. We have a dark sense of humor.
- ⚽ I volunteer for a non-profit soccer club. Covid has kinda put this on hold.
I've been in software 💻 for over 20 years (how did that happen?! 😱). I took the unconventional path, landing a job as tech support, teaching myself to code on the job (Visual FoxPro and C), becoming their developer, working for big tech, all before heading to college (Go Eags!).
Interweave is my 5th startup I've worked on, two of which have been my own. In fact my first job was at a startup 🚀 where we sold self storage software (it was the 90's) to over 300 customers. I've worked for big tech (as an orange badge at MS) and for the government, but most of my career has been with smaller startups in many spaces (telco, cyber security, web hosting).
So what's the deal with "Art of Software"? It takes a lot more than writing code to build customer value. Beyond code, there's product decisions, marketing, sales, support, and so much more. As a founder it takes a lot to balance all those hats 🎩. One could even say it's an art.
Copyright © 2021, Bryan Smith, All Rights Reserved